Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Food

Food has been on my mind a lot lately.  Mostly because I am trying not to eat as much of it anymore.  I realized a few months ago that my body isn't functioning like it did when I was in my 20's, and if I wanted not to blow up like a blimp, I better start watching what I eat.  Also, I knew that I need to exercise more.  Now I am not one of those people who has to exercise in order to have a good day.  Exercise usually makes me have a not so nice day.  It tires me out, makes me even hungrier, and causes me to have to change (and therefore, wash) clothes. 

My oldest son works out a lot.  I think he is crazy.  Why would you want to do any exercise activity that starts with the word "insane" in its title?  And I don't have the time or the motivation to do an exercise class or video that takes an hour a day. Or something that makes you sweat buckets.  Or makes you have violent thoughts towards the instructors.  I do have a bike, and I am thinking of using it.  That's not too bad, at least I will be going somewhere.  I ran a race once, but that was 6 kids ago and the only running I do now is when one is heading for the road.

I decided at the end of last year, that I needed to get my butt in gear and quit finding excuses to exercise and eat right.  I always have to think these things over before they become reality.  So about a month later, in early Janurary, I bought a workout video and talked my hubbie into working out with me.  He actually agreed, he's one of those that likes the day-after soreness that comes from working out too hard.  He's also one of those that cuts down on his meal portions, and he loses weight.  Makes me sick.  But I still love him. 

So after a month, we both have been tracking our calories, exercising as often as I can be persuaded, (which is about 3 times a week) and trying to make healthier foods.  After doing all this, I have figured out why many people are overweight.  It's friggin hard to eat right.  I have to plan ahead for my lunches, I have to redo some of my dinner meals, and I have to search out recipes online.  And there's so much more prep.  I can't just take something out of the fridge and eat, unless I want that to be my last meal of the day.  I have to mix, measure, blend, chop, and count just for my lunch. It's exhausting!  And the few times I have made double so I have an easier time for lunch the next day, my wonderful husband eats it all.  And still loses weight!

The tuna mix I made today.  I doubled it so I would have enough
for tomorrow.  Steve came home and ate 2 servings of it.  I am not
sure there's enough for me to have one serving tomorrow.  Sigh.


"But don't you feel better?" you say.  Nope.  Feel the same.  I know I have lost a little weight, and my baby pooch is a little smaller and I think I saw a muscle in my arm yesterday, but that's it.  And I know I shouldn't compare, but my eternal companion has lost twice as much as me and he has muscles.  Really, REALLY aggrevating.  Oh well.  I think I will keep trying, maybe I will have to walk to the promised land one day and it will all be worth it.  What do you think??


1 comment:

MaryAnn said...

I feel the exact same way about exercise, and as much as I hate anything having to do with cooking I haven't convinced myself yet that eating "healthy" is the way to go. Except to cut down on a few sweets and better portion control. Yah, I don't feel so awesome either. Let me know if it gets better!